March 7, 2005
The City Commission Worksession was called to order at 5:46 p.m. All Commissioners
1. Local Government Cooperation. Commissioner Spataro commented that that we needed
political and functional consolidation. He suggested that we should issue a resolution
stating that the City Commission supports in principal the concept of consolidation. His
suggested proposal is that we start with Public Safety and consolidate the Fire
Departments, and create a countywide fire authority.
2. Inspections of houses for sale. Commissioner Davis explained a handout he provided the
entire commission and stated his reasons for starting this program. He also suggested
that we should consider subcontracting options also.
3. Wastewater system agreement amendment. Public Works Director Bob Kuhn gave
commission an overview of the item for Tuesday’s agenda.
4. City Center Infrastructure Financing. City Manager Bryon Mazade gave the commission
an overview of this item. ( $1 Million Dollars with a match needed). Needs a
commitment from the Commission by the end of the March.
5. Bids for Walton Street Construction. Commissioner Larson stated that he will be
recommending that the bid be awarded to Jackson Merkey, the second lowest bidder.
Commissioner Spataro stated that he did not agree with Commissioner Larson.
Commissioner Gawron also stated that he agreed with Commissioner Spataro that the bid
should go to the low bidder.
6. CDBG Budget. City Manager Bryon Mazade gave the commission an overview of the
budget. City Commissioners commented on the amounts suggested in the budget. The
Commissioners suggested that the recommendations made by staff in the document
should be how the money be distributed.
7. Farmer’s Market. City Commissioners and the public had a long discussion on this topic.
Motion by Spataro, seconded by Carter, to have staff make contacts on the locations
presented to them and forward any private proposals for review to the City
Commissioners so they may look at all options.
Vote: 7 Yeas 0 Nays Passed
Commissioners asked that the City Manager bring the outcome of the contacts to the next
worksession in April (April 11, 2005). They also suggested that we not apply for the
Cool Cities grant. Commissioner Davis suggested that we start an evaluation of the
8. DNR Grant Application. City Manager Mazade handed out an information sheet to the
Commission. After discussion, the commission agreed that the city not apply for the
DNR grant. Discussion was also held on the DEQ Coastal Management Program and the
Commission agreed that we do not apply for this grant.
9. Construction Engineering – Shoreline Drive. Mohammed Al-Shatel gave the
commissioners an overview of the project.
10. Polling Place Changes. Commissioners all agreed with the suggested changes that were
recommended by the City Clerk.
11. Any other business. Various comments were heard from commissioners
12. Adjournment. The City Commissioner Worksession was adjourned at 8:28 p.m.
Gail A. Kundinger, MMC