News about the City of Muskegon, announcements and updates.
CITY OF MUSKEGON
ZONING BOARD OF APPEALS
The regular meeting of the Zoning Board of Appeals scheduled for Tuesday, January
12, 2016, has been cancelled due to the applicant withdrawing their application.
CITY OF MUSKEGON
MONDAY, JANUARY 4, 2016
CITY COMMISSION CHAMBERS
CITY HALL – 5:30 P.M.
1. Prayer and Pledge of Allegiance.
2. Oath of Office Ceremony – Muskegon County Board Chair Terry Sabo
Mayor Stephen J. Gawron
Ward I Commissioner Eric Hood
Ward II Commissioner Willie German
Ward III Commissioner Debra Warren
Ward IV Commissioner Byron Turnquist
3. Election of Vice-Mayor.
4. Setting Commission Meetings: 5:30 p.m. – 2nd and 4th Tuesdays each month.
5. Setting Worksession Meetings: 5:30 p.m. – Mondays preceding the 2nd Tuesday each month.
6. Appointment of City Manager: Franklin J. Peterson.
7. Appointment of City Clerk: Ann Marie Meisch.
8. Appointment of City Treasurer: Kenneth Grant.
9. Appointment of City Auditor: Derrick Smith.
10. Appointment of City Assessor and Deputy Assessors:
County Equalization Director Donna VanderVries
Deputy Director Dan VanderKooi
11. Designation of City Fund Depositories.
Fifth Third Bank (Main Depository)
12. Designation of Firm to Act as Legal Counsel: Parmenter-O’Toole.
13. New Business.
ADA POLICY: The City of Muskegon will provide necessary auxiliary aids and services to
individuals who want to attend the meeting upon twenty-four hour notice to the City of Muskegon.
Please contact Ann Marie Cummings, City Clerk, at 933 Terrace Street, Muskegon, MI 49440 or
by dialing (231) 724-6705 or TTY/TDD: dial 7-1-1 and request a representative dial (231) 724-6705.
RESOLUTION DESIGNATING CITY FUND DEPOSITORIES
THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF MUSKEGON DOES HEREBY RESOLVE, that the following financial institutions shall be and hereby are designated as official depositories of the City funds:
Fifth Third Bank (Main Depository)
Adopted this 4th day of January, 2016.
RESOLUTION DESIGNATING FIRM TO ACT AS LEGAL COUNSEL FOR THE CITY OF MUSKEGON, MICHIGAN
BE IT RESOLVED, that the City Attorney be and hereby is authorized to designate any other member of the firm of Parmenter-O’Toole to represent the City of Muskegon in court and in all other legal proceedings in such matters as the City Attorney shall, in his discretion, deem advisable, from time to time. No additional compensation shall be paid for such services unless same are of an extraordinary nature for which additional compensation is authorized in advance.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that in any matter wherein the City Attorney, or his firm, shall be unable by reason of a conflict to represent the City, the City Manager is authorized to use a Special Assistant City Attorney to represent the City in such matter, and any expenses thereby incurred shall be charged to the budget of the City Attorney, unless such services are of an extraordinary nature as determined by the City Manager, and in such event additional compensation may be authorized.
Adopted by the City Commission this 4th day of January, 2016.
- Effective January 1, 2016
- View your water bills
- Look up your water account history
- View your current property taxes
- View your property tax history
- Pay your property taxes and water bills
SIGN UP FOR E-Billing
- Help save the environment
- Convenient email delivery
- Earn a seventy-five cent credit on your water each month that you receive a E-Bill
- [bs_button size=”md” type=”default” value=”Sign Up Here for E-Billing” href=”https://www.muskegon-mi.gov/ebill/”]
SIGN UP FOR Auto-Pay
- Avoid long lines
- Never forget a due date
- Avoid online fees
- Earn a seventy-five cent credit on your water each month that you are on Auto-Pay
- [bs_button size=”md” type=”default” value=”Sign Up Here for Auto-Pay” href=”https://www.muskegon-mi.gov/cresources/waterbillautomaticpaymentplanform.pdf”]
CITY OF MUSKEGON
SPECIAL COMMISSION MEETING
A Special City Commission Meeting will be held on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 at 5:30 p.m. in the City Commission Chambers, 933 Terrace, Muskegon, MI 49440.
A. Closed Session to Discuss Property Acquisition.
Date: December 11, 2015
Stephen J. Gawron, Mayor
City of Muskegon
AMERICAN DISABILITY ACT POLICY FOR ACCESS TO OPEN MEETINGS OF THE CITY OF MUSKEGON AND ANY OF ITS COMMITTEES OR SUBCOMMITTEES
The City of Muskegon will provide necessary reasonable auxiliary aids and services, such as signers for the hearing impaired and audio tapes of printed materials being considered at the meeting, to individuals with disabilities who want to attend the meeting with twenty-four (24) hours notice to the City of Muskegon. Individuals with disabilities requiring auxiliary aids or services should contact the City of Muskegon by writing or calling the following:
Ann Marie Meisch, MMC
933 Terrace Street, Muskegon, MI 49440
The Michigan City, Village, and Township Revenue Sharing Program (CVTRS) sets specific requirements that local governments must meet to qualify to receive state revenue sharing funds. One of the key requirements of CVTRS is that cities make readily available to the public by December 1st “a citizen’s guide and a performance dashboard of their local finances, including a recognition of their unfunded liabilities.”
This Citizen’s Guide is published in accordance with the requirements of CVTRS. We have used the state-recommended reporting template in preparing the Guide. Because of the required time frame for submission, it is not possible to include audited financial data for the most recent fiscal year completed June 30, 2015.
Cities are to produce and make readily available to the public: 1) a Citizen’s Guide, 2) a projected budget report of revenues and expenditures including the current fiscal year and a projection for the immediately following year (including assumptions used) and, 3) a detailed listing of debt service requirements.
These CVTRS required reports are included in this Citizen’s Guide.
Also in accordance with CVTRS, the City has published on its website a performance measurement dashboard that monitors performance trends in four key areas: Fiscal Stability, Economy, Quality of Life, and Public Safety. The City’s performance dashboard can be accessed here.
We hope that the Citizen’s Guide to Local Finances together with the City’s performance dashboard enhances the City’s transparency and public accountability.
If you have any questions or comments, you can leave them in the comment section below or email email@example.com.
The City of Muskegon Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2015 is now available online.
The CAFR summarizes the city’s financial activity for the year and includes the unmodified opinion of the City’s independent auditor – Brickley DeLong, PC.
Highlights from the FY15 CAFR include:
- The assets/deferred outflows of resources of the City of Muskegon exceeded its liabilities/deferred inflows of resources by $115,068,399 as of June 30, 2015. Of the City’s total net position, $6,915,454 (6.0%) was unrestricted and may be used to meet the City’s ongoing obligations to citizens and creditors.
- The City’s governmental funds reported combined ending fund balance of $15,182,423, an increase of $2,195,191 (16.9%) from the prior year.
- The City’s General Fund reported a total fund balance of $7,803,496, an increase of $307,399 from the prior year balance of $7,496,097. The favorable increase is primarily the result of higher than anticipated income taxes, conservative budgeting and tight budget controls.
- For the year ended June 30, 2015, General Fund revenues were $427,474 higher than the final amended budget estimate. This variance is primarily due to higher than expected local income tax revenues.
- General Fund expenditures were $608,522 lower than projected in the final amended budget. Most city departments spent less than expected due to a combination of 1) tight budget controls, 2) conservative budget projections and, 3) position turnover and the accompanying lag in replacement hiring time.
WHAT: Civil Service Commission Monthly Meeting
WHEN: Thursday, November 19, 2015 4:00pm – 5:00 pm
WHERE: Muskegon City Hall
Conference Room 203
933 Terrace Street