CITY OF MUSKEGON
DATE OF MEETING: Thursday, March 4, 2021
TIME OF MEETING: 4:00 p.m.
PLACE OF MEETING: Zoom / City of Muskegon Government Facebook Page
I. Roll Call
II. Approval of Minutes from the regular meeting of January 14, 2021.
III. Public Hearing
A. Hearing, Case 2021-04: Request to rezone a portion of the property at 685 Access Hwy from I-1,
Light Industrial to I-2, General Industrial by Asphalt Paving, Inc.
B. Hearing, Case 2021-05: Request for a special use permit to operate an asphalt plant at 685 Access
Hwy, by Asphalt Pacing, Inc.
IV. New Business
A. Updates on previous cases
AMERICAN DISABILITY ACT POLICY FOR ACCESS TO OPEN MEETING OF THE
CITY COMMISSION AND ANY OF ITS COMMITTEES OR SUBCOMMITTEES
The City of Muskegon will provide necessary reasonable auxiliary aids and services, such as signers for the hearing impaired and audio tapes
of printed materials being considered at the meeting, to individuals with disabilities who want to attend the meeting, upon 24- hour notice to
the City of Muskegon. Individuals with disabilities requiring auxiliary aids or services should contact the City of Muskegon by writing or
calling the following:
Ann Meisch, City Clerk
933 Terrace Street
Muskegon MI 49440
March 4, 2021
Hearing, Case 2021-04: Request to rezone a portion of the property at 685 Access Hwy from I-1, Light
Industrial to I-2, General Industrial by Asphalt Paving, Inc.
1. The currently vacant property is 20.5 acres and is accessed off of Getty St.
2. Most of the property is zoned I-1, Light Industrial. A portion of the property on the western edge is
zoned OSC, Open Space Conservation. The applicant is not proposing to rezone this portion of the
property as they do not intend to utilize it.
3. The applicant currently runs an asphalt plant at 1000 E Sherman Blvd (near the corner of Getty St)
and would like to move the operations to 685 Access Hwy.
4. Asphalt plants are allowed in I-2 districts with the issuance of a special use permit. Please see the
zoning ordinance excerpt on I-2 districts.
5. The northern end of Getty St is characterized by light to general industrial uses; including L3
(Muskegon Township), aggregate storage, an auto parts/disabled vehicle yard and other small
6. Notice was sent to everyone within 300 feet of this property.
Aerial Map of Existing Location at 1000 E Sherman Blvd
Staff recommends approval of the request. The Master Plan recommends that port uses be located on the
eastern end of Muskegon Lake. While not located directly on the lake, it is within a mile of the Verplank
Dock at 559 E Western Ave. The relocation of the plant will also help eliminate blight on the heavily
traversed Sherman Blvd and will allow for more commercial-type development that is common within close
proximity to highway ramps.
I move that the request to rezone a portion of the property at 685 Access Hwy from I-1, Light Industrial to
I-2 be recommended to the City Commission for (approval/denial).
Hearing, Case 2021-05: Request for a special use permit to operate an asphalt plant at 685 Access Hwy, by
Asphalt Pacing, Inc.
1. Please see the enclosed site plan.
2. The plans include a new 25,000 sf building and other accessory structures.
3. The plan is currently being reviewed by the Muskegon County Drain Commissioners Office in order
to obtain a stormwater permit. The proposed stormwater detention area is shown on the plan.
4. A branch of the Muskegon River runs along the northern portion of the property. All development is
proposed above the ordinary high watermark of 584 feet.
5. The Fire Marshall is still determining the number of fire hydrants that may be required. She also
noted that the pavement shown must support at least 75,000 lbs and she must confirm that a fire
department apparatus can maneuver around the site.
Staff recommends approval of the request contingent upon issuance of a stormwater permit from the
Muskegon County Drain Commissioners Office and a revised site plan that addresses the Fire Marshalls
I move that the request for a special use permit to operate an asphalt plant at 685 Access Hwy be
(approved/denied) contingent upon the following:
1. The successful rezoning of the property to I-2 by the City Commission.
2. Issuance of a stormwater permit from the Muskegon County Drain Commissioners Office.
3. A revised site plan approved by the Fire Marshall.
Updates on previous Cases
Hearing, Case 2021-02: Request to amend section 2331 of the zoning ordinance to include 885 E Apple Ave
in the marihuana facilities overlay district, by Khi Guy.
Tabled by the City Commission at the request of the applicant.
Hearing, Case 2021-03: Request for a departure from the parking ordinance and the window transparency
ordinance at 623 and 639 W Clay Ave, by 639 W Clay Ave, LLC.
Staff is working with the applicant on a new design that will include a building addition along Clay Ave and
parking in the rear with no curb but off of Clay Ave.