CITY OF MUSKEGON
HISTORIC DISTRICT COMMISSION
DATE OF MEETING: Thursday, April 22, 2021
TIME OF MEETING: 4:00 p.m.
PLACE OF MEETING: https://www.facebook.com/CityofMuskegon
I. Call to Order
II. Other Business
2021 HDC Goals
2021 Staff Approval Update
HDC Staff Approval of Sheds
Public Comment Period
“We admire that which is old not because it is old, but because it is beautiful.” Winston Churchill
AMERICAN DISABILITY ACT POLICY FOR ACCESS TO OPEN MEETING OF THE CITY COMMISSION AND ANY OF ITS COMMITTEES
The City of Muskegon will provide necessary reasonable auxiliary aids and services, such as signers for the hearing impaired and audio tapes
of printed materials being considered at the meeting, to individuals with disabilities who want to attend the meeting, upon twenty-four hour
notice to the City of Muskegon. Individuals with disabilities requiring auxiliary aids or services should contact the City of Muskegon by writing
or calling the following: Ann Marie Cummings, City Clerk at 933 Terrace Street, Muskegon, MI 49440 or by calling (231) 724-6705 or
TTY/TDD: Dial 7-1-1 and request that representative dial 231-724-6705
II. OTHER BUSINESS
2021 HDC Goals – At a previous meeting, the HDC discussed goals for preservation in the City of
Muskegon that could be carried out by this board. Goals to be completed within the current year
- Mailings to property owners within the historic districts containing info on HDC procedures.
- Outreach to local realtors with literature highlighting benefits of properties in historic districts.
- Identify resources with particular historic significance to the Muskegon community.
- Evaluate other potential boundary updates/new historic districts adjacent to existing districts.
These topics can be discussed in more detail at upcoming meetings, and responsibilities and
timelines can be established to complete the tasks outlined.
2021 Staff Approval Update – Staff has approved five projects since the start of the year:
- 72 E. Grand – Re-roof with like materials
- 421 W. Webster – Replacement of two second-story wood windows on rear of house with
aluminum-clad wood windows fitting the same opening and with the same vertical mullions.
- 600 W. Clay – Reroof flat roof, removal of active growing tree and replacement with like brick
and mortar in a 6’-wide by 8’-tall area on the building’s east corner.
- 563 W. Western – Replacement of four wood double-hung windows with vinyl-wrapped wood
double hung windows of the same size and appearance. Repair and replace spalling face brick
and tuck point.
- 72 E. Grand – Re-roof with like materials.
- 1668 Jefferson – Construction of 78’ of 6’-tall wood privacy fence.
- 1752 Jefferson – Replacement of damaged wood siding with like materials retaining all exterior
trim where possible.
Nelson House – Staff has been working with a group to save the historic Nelson House located at
1292 Jefferson (the former rectory for St. Jean’s Church). The current proposal involves moving the
house from its present location to a vacant lot owned by the City of Muskegon at 382 W. Muskegon
Avenue. Under this plan, the house would be moving from outside a historic district into the
Houston Historic District. No formal review or approval is being handled at this time, but Staff will
provide more information on the history of the house and the proposed move.
HDC Staff Approval of Sheds – Staff is considering updating the HDC Staff Approval Form to
include accessory structures such as sheds. Requests for sheds are fairly common, and are approved
through the Planning Department via issuance of a Development Permit. While the HDC typically
references the Local Design Guidelines for New Construction when reviewing proposed sheds, more
specific guidelines could be adopted and used as a baseline for potential projects in the future.
HDC Regular Meeting Date Change – Due to recurring time constraints with virtual meetings
hosted on the same Zoom account, Staff is considering changing the dates for regular meetings.
Public Comment Period – For public comment, please call the number that will be listed on the
screen during the broadcast of this meeting on https://www.facebook.com/CityofMuskegon