1. Contact the Planning & Economic Development Department (231) 724-6702

Check the Zoning
Businesses must be located in the proper zoning districts. Never purchase or lease a building or lot without first checking the zoning. The Zoning Administrator will be able to assist you with any questions you have about zoning.

Change of Use?
Although your potential business may be zoned properly, the use of the building may be different from the previous tenant. Check to see if it is considered a change of use and what requirements must be met.

2. Contact the Inspections Department (231) 724-6715

Check the Occupancy Status
Check on the type and status of any occupancy permit. If your proposed business is considered a building code change of use, there may be additional requirements.

Check for Building Issues
Check for any known violations or outstanding issues with the building.

Apply for Permits
Any changes of use or alterations to the building, including electrical, plumbing or mechanical systems require a permit before any work is started. Also, be sure to get a permit for any new signage.

3. Contact the City Clerk’s Department (231) 724-6705

Register your Business with the City
All businesses must be registered with the City of Muskegon. Contact the City Clerk’s department to register your business.

4. Contact the Income Tax Department (231) 724-6770

Register your Business with the City to withhold local taxes for employees.
All employees working in the city must pay our local income tax, 1% for residents and ½% for non-residents.

Printable Version of the Business Start-Up Checklist