Inspections Department
933 Terrace St.
Muskegon, MI 49443
Phone Number: (231) 724-6715
Rental Dept Phone Number: (231) 724-6766
Code Enforcement Dept Phone Number: (231)724-6748
Fax Number: (231) 728-4371

Permit Forms

Rental Inspection Services

  1. Rental Registration Form 2018
  2. Multiple Properties Worksheet
  3. Agreement not to Occupy Single Family Home
  4. Agreement not to Occupy Multi Family Home
  5. Tenant Complaint Form
  6. Rental Inspection Minimum Requirements
  7. Carbon Monoxide Report
  8. Rental Registration Search
  9. Short Term Rental Registration Form

Code Enforcement

  1. Code Enforcement Appeal Form (mowing and trash pickup charges)
  2. Property Maintenance Standards
  3. Alert Service Application

SAFEbuilt building and rental inspections services provides all inspections for structures to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of our customers and the residents of the City of Muskegon.  A professional staff of building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and rental inspectors conducts these inspections.  Our support team consists of three permit technicians.  We partner with fire prevention personnel, police, and many others to provide inspection services in a team approach to various issues and challenges.

We welcome questions and inquiries on code interpretations and how-to scenarios. If you have questions relating to code enforcement, building issues, or other related issues, please do not hesitate to call us.

Did you know the length of grass and weeds and many other concerns are explained in the Property Maintenance Standards brochure available on-line (see Code Enforcement above) or to pick up at the City Clerk’s office and the SAFEbuilt offices in City Hall.

Building Guides

Demolition Contract Bid Document

Housing Board of Appeals Minutes

Frequently Asked Questions

When is a Plan Review required?

A plan review is required whenever a commercial or residential building is erected, altered, enlarged, structurally repaired, moved, or converted to different use group (as defined in the building code).

When is a Site Plan Review required?

A site plan review is required for new buildings(commercial or residential) and to existing buildings that change uses or is expanded in size.

What codes are enforced by the City of Muskegon?

The City of Muskegon enforces the following codes

  • 2015 Michigan Building Code
  • 2015 Michigan Residential Code
  • 2017 National Electrical Code
  • 2018 Michigan Plumbing Code
  • 2015 Michigan Mechanical Code
  • 2015 International Fire Code
  • Michigan Energy Code (ASHRAE 90.1-2013)
  • ICC A117.1-2009 Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities

What is the minimum footing depth?

Minimum footing depth is 42 inches below finish grade.

What is the roof snow load?

Design roof snow load is 60 pounds per square foot per Figure 1608.2 MBC 2000.

What is the design wind speed?

Design wind speed is 90 MPH for a three-second gust per Figure 1609 MBC 2000.

Do I need an architect or engineer to obtain a plan review and building permit?

Michigan State Law requires that work done on buildings (except single family dwellings under 3500 sq./ft) be under the seal and signature of a licensed architect or engineer. The Building Official may waive the requirement for sealed drawings if the proposed work is of a very minor nature. It is a very rare occasion that this requirement is waived.

What is required for a set of drawings to be “sealed”?

The registered (licensed in Michigan) architect or engineer must seal the drawings with either an embossed seal or a wet ink seal and then validate that seal with an original signature in ink. A set of plans that is “sealed” therefore contains both the seal and signature of the architect or engineer. Photocopies of a previously sealed drawing are not acceptable. The seal and signature on each set of submitted plans must be original.

Must the architect seal each page of a drawing set?

The architect may seal each individual sheet within the set or they may seal an index page that lists all the pages within the set for which the architect is responsible.

What should Plans include?

Plans should include a site plan showing location of buildings (for more information contact the Planning Department @ 231-724-6702, complete floor plan (showing proposed use, wall details, plumbing, mechanical and electrical details (including details on exit and emergency lighting).

What must I submit to receive a plan review?

Commercial – You must submit a completed building permit application, five (5) complete sets of construction drawings all properly sealed as described above, include spec books if applicable.

Residential – You must submit a completed building permit application, two (2) sets of drawings and a site plan if necessary.

How do I calculate the fee?

The fee is based on the value of the project. Our staff will help calculate the fee at the time the plan review is completed.

Are any other approvals or reviews required?

New buildings and additions require a Site Plan Review. If the project is located near, or will affect a wetlands, or is located in a critical dune area, a review and permit may be required from the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality. If the project is located in the flood plain, the project must comply with the requirements for flood proof construction or the project must be elevated out of the flood plain and a “Elevation Certificate” is required.

What is required for a demolition permit?

We will need all Shut Off/Clearance letters for property. (gas, electric & water/sewer)

I have an older building that I wish to renovate. Must I comply with Barrier Free requirements?

Alterations to any building must comply with the requirements of Michigan Barrier Free Design Rules (BFR). Additionally, an accessible route must be provided to the improved areas. Within the BFR, there are some exceptions for existing buildings meeting certain criteria. Contact our Office or your Design Professional to see if these exceptions may apply to your project. If you wish to seek a variance from the BFR, you must go to the Barrier Free Design Board of the State of Michigan. The City of Muskegon has no authority to grant variances to the BFR.

What about the ADA?

ADA Grievance Procedure

I have a question, but it isn’t addressed here. What do I do?

Feel free to contact the Inspection Services Department.231-724-6715

Contact Inspections

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.