The City Clerks Office is responsible for many diverse functions of the city.
The City Clerk attends and records all meetings of the City Commission. The minutes of the Commission actions are then prepared and distributed. The City Clerk prepares City Commission meeting agendas and information packets with the City Manager. All public hearing notices are posted and published by the City Clerks office. The City Clerks office maintains all City Codes, Ordinances, Resolutions, Policies and other legal documents. The office is responsible for the management and preservation of the official records of the City of Muskegon.
The City Clerk serves as the Public Relations person for the City. The Clerk prepares press releases, works through different organizations to promote the City, prepares and distributes the City’s newsletter, The Channel Newsletter, and serves on various boards promoting the City.
The City Clerks office is responsible for ballot preparation, issuance of absent voter ballots, delivery and set up of voting equipment, training of election inspector boards in the proper election procedures, the processing of ballots in compliance with federal and state election laws and the maintenance of voter registration files. The City Clerks office conducts neighborhood voter registration drives, training on the election voting equipment and other election related topics.
Other areas of responsibility are Notary, Business Registrations, Encroachments, Peddlers, Transient Business, auctions and auctioneers and Going out of Business permits. In addition, the Clerks office is responsible for historical research, Imaging of city documents, city meetings schedule and calendar, Bid openings, public bulletin boards, public notices, ads, liquor licensing, Resolutions, proclamations, city contracts and agreements, vacated alleys and streets, Passport application acceptance, and passport drives. The City Clerk administers the Oath of Office to City Officials, Police Officers, and members of city Boards/Commissions/Committees as requested.
The City Clerks office strives to provide professional, efficient and friendly customer service to all our customers.
BUSINESS LICENSING & PERMITS
- BUSINESS REGISTRATION
- Fill out an application to practice business, a completed Fire Safety Audit Sheet, and a $35.00 yearly registration fee. Rules of practicing business in the City of Muskegon are regulated by Chapter 50 of the Code of Ordinances.
- ONLINE FORM & PAYMENT
- BUSINESS REGISTRATION FORM [PDF]
- FIRE SAFETY AUDIT FORM
- TRANSITORY FOOD UNITS
- TRANSIENT MERCHANT LICENSE FORM
- SPECIAL EVENT PARKING
- DANCE PERMIT
- BIRTH, MARRIAGE, & DEATH RECORDS
COMMUNITY RELATIONS COMMITTEE
- 2019 CITY ELECTION
- REGISTER TO VOTE
- Voters may register up through Election Day in-person in the Clerk’s Office with proof of residency. Our office will be open the Saturday before each election from 8:30 am-4:30 pm to register voters and issue absent voter ballots.
- Deadline to register to vote in any manner other than in-person at the Clerk’s Office is 15 days before the election.
- ABSENTEE VOTING
- APPLICATION FOR ELECTION WORKER [PDF]
- CANDIDATE SIGNAGE NOTICE
- POLLING PLACES
- MICHIGAN VOTER INFORMATION CENTER-Get up-to-date information regarding voting in Michigan, check registration status, find polling location, view sample ballot and more.
- ELECTION RESULTS
- CHRISTMAS TREE LIGHTING
- DINING IN THE DARK
- DINOSAUR DIG
- FARM TO TABLE DINNER
- FIRST FRIDAYS
- FOOD TRUCK RALLIES
- HALLOWEEN BASH
- HARVEST FEST
- PAINT YOUR PET
- SIDEWALK SALES AT WESTERN MARKET
- TASTE OF MUSKEGON
- SUMMER HOURS (MAY-NOV)
- Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday 8 am – 2 pm
- WINTER HOURS (NOV-APR)
- Saturday 9 am- 2pm
FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT (FOIA)
- PUBLIC SUMMARY OF FOIA PROCEDURES AND GUIDELINES
- CITY OF MUSKEGON FOIA PROCEDURES AND GUIDELINES
- FOIA REQUEST FORM FOR PUBLIC RECORDS (PDF)
- FOIA APPEAL FORM-TO APPEAL A DENIAL OF RECORDS
- FOIA APPEAL FORM-TO APPEAL AN EXCESS FEE
Traveling soon? Make sure your passport is ready to go! We accept passport applications in the Clerk’s Office Monday-Friday from 8:30 am-4:30 pm.
Seventeen small retail shops commonly referred to as the chalets offer goods ranging from ice cream to home décor.
The City Clerk’s office is managed by:
Ann Meisch, City Clerk
933 Terrace St.
Muskegon, MI 49440
Phone Number: (231) 724-6705
Fax Number: (231) 724-4178