Decks in Residential Zones
- You need a building permit in order to erect a deck.
- In general, decks must be at least three (3) feet from the property line. However, where there is an established fence line on the rear or side yard, you may bring the deck up to the property line.
- Covered decks are treated like porches and must comply with the setback requirements of the principal structure (the house).
- Decks may not be more than two (2) feet above grade.
- Decks located in front yards must be located at least ten (10) feet behind the front property line (10-foot setback).
If you have an established fence line on the rear or side yard and choose to have your deck that close to the property line, you should be certain just where the property line is located in order to avoid conflicts with your neighbors. The City knows the dimensions of your lot, but not precisely where the lot lines are. Lot lines can be located by a surveyor.