CITY OF MUSKEGON
EXECUTIVE SEARCH FIRM SERVICES
I. Purpose of Request
The City of Muskegon is requesting proposals from executive search consultants to assist
the City with selecting a new City Manager.
II. General Information
The City of Muskegon is located in West Michigan on the shores of Lake Michigan. The
population is 38,318; however, the City serves as the county seat, with a population of over
173,000. The City has a commission‐manger form of government with a 7‐member City
Commission. The City has 11 departments and employs 225 full‐time employees.
III. Scope of Services
The City of Muskegon is seeking assistance in hiring a City Manager. It is anticipated that the
respondent will accomplish the follow tasks:
1. Work with the City Commission to develop a candidate profile that will detail the
qualifications, experience, and professional characteristics the City Commissioners are
2. Develop a community profile that includes a description of the position and its
requirements, the organization structure, and the community.
3. Prepare a recruitment brochure that will be used as a part of marketing strategy.
4. Review the current compensation and recommend changes, if necessary.
5. Develop and implement a marketing strategy that includes advertising the position to
generate qualified candidates including, but not limited to, the following methods:
Selected advertising (ICMA Newsletter);
Use of Internet websites (ICMA, etc.) and social media outlets;
Direct solicitation of known, desirable candidates;
Direct e‐mail campaign;
6. Receive resumes and conduct initial screening of all resumes, narrowing the field of
candidates to those who closely match the needs/desires of the City Commission.
7. Assist City Commission in selecting final candidates to interview.
8. Conduct background and reference checks on top candidates.
9. Assist in coordinating and scheduling interviews. The respondent will assist during the
interviews, including developing suggested interview questions.
IV. Respondent’s Experience Response Content
1. Title Page – Indicate the proposal subject, name of firm, address, telephone number,
contact person, and date of submittal.
2. Introduction – Introduce your firm and provide a profile, including the size of the
professional staff employed.
3. Information Included in Response –
a. State your qualifications, specifically public sector experience, executive search
capabilities, and provide information regarding searches in cities of similar size.
b. State your understanding of the work to be performed.
c. Describe your proposed strategy to complete the recruitment.
d. Name the principal or project manager in the firm who will have responsibility for
the services provided to the City. Include resumes of all persons who will work on
the recruitment. Identify any sub‐consultant and the work assigned.
e. Provide a list of five (5) clients for whom your firm has worked.
f. Provide a copy of a previous position profile, brochure, etc. your firm has created.
g. Provide a proposed timetable to complete the recruitment along with timelines for
h. Provide a cost proposal for the overall recruitment and selection process. The
proposal should include a fixed fee for the project as well as a description and
delineation of any other reimbursable expenses expected to be submitted, which
are not part of the fee.
V. Special Terms and Conditions
1. The City reserves the right to accept or reject any and all proposals or award in any
manner deemed in the best interest of the City.
2. Selected respondent agrees to furnish a certificate of insurance naming the City of
Muskegon as an additional insured with General Liability of $1,000,000 combined single
limit per occurrence for bodily injury, personal injury, and property damage;
Professional Liability with $1,000,000 combined since limit per occurrence; Automobile
Liability: $1,000,000 combined single limit per accident for bodily injury and property
damage; and Worker’s Compensation and Employers Liability limits of $1,000,000 per
3. Sealed proposal must be received at the City Clerk’s office no later than 2:00 P.M., May
12, 2022. Proposals will not be accepted after this time. Proposals shall be addressed as
Ann Marie Meisch, City Clerk
Office of the City Clerk
City of Muskegon
933 Terrace Street
Muskegon, MI 49440