CITY OF MUSKEGON
CITY COMMISSION WORKSESSION
Monday, October 10, 2005
City Commission Chambers
The City Commission Worksession was called to order at 5:30 p.m. by Mayor
Present: Mayor Stephen Warmington, Vice Mayor Bill Larson, Commissioner, Chris
Carter, Kevin Davis, Stephen Gawron, Clara Shepherd, and Lawrence Spataro.
1. 211 Presentation. Maggie Jensen, 255 W. Sherman, gave a presentation.
2. Sappi Tax Abatements. City Manager Bryon Mazade explained Commissioner
Davis’ concern about the number of jobs promised.
3. Shoreline Drive Streetlights. City Manager Bryon Mazade explained this item.
Discussion was held.
Motion by Commissioner Spataro, second by Vice Mayor Larson to
recommend that we direct staff to solicit bids for instillation of street lights
on Shoreline Drive and contact Michigan Municipal League for assistance in
pursuing any reasonable legal alternative.
Roll Vote: Ayes: Shepherd, Spataro, Warmington, Carter, and Davis
Nays: Gawron, and Larson
4. Revolving Loan Fund. Joel Fitzpatrick explained this item. It will be voted on at
tomorrow’s City Commission Meeting.
5. Former Muskegon Mall Parking Lot. City Manager Bryon Mazade explained this
6. Emergency Plan Review. Vice Mayor Larson asked if the City’s plan was clear
and adequate. City Manager Bryon Mazade responded.
7. Vehicle for Hire Ordinance Amendment. Public Safety Director Tony Kleibecker
explained this, much discussion was held. This will be removed from tomorrow’s
agenda and a new ordinance will be presented to Commission at a later date.
8. National League of Cities.
Motion by Commissioner Spataro, second by Commissioner Carter to
appoint Commissioner Clara Shepherd to represent the City.
VOTE: All Ayes
9. Any Other Business. Commissioner Spataro commented on adequate
handicapped parking needed for events at the Walker Arena and the Frauenthal.
He also asked if formal action could be taken on the recommendation from the
Local Officer’s Compensation Commission. This will be added to tomorrow’s
Commissioner Shepherd introduced John O’Connell who explained prescription
coverage for low income individuals.
10. The meeting adjourned at 7:30 p.m.
Gail A. Kundinger, MMC